Canadian Visitors

CoosCountyThumbMapNew Hampshire’s Grand North proudly neighbors with Canada for 58 miles.  Many of our residents work north of the border and many Canadians make the daily trip over the border into New Hampshire as well.  As you can imagine we welcome Canadian vacationers with open arms.

The New Hampshire/Canada border crossing is located on U.S. Route 3 between the towns of Pittsburg, New Hampshire, and Chartierville, Quebec. We are open 0800-2400 7 days a week. After/before hours, traffic must report to Beecher Falls, VT or Coburn Gore, ME. Both are 24/7 operations The Pittsburg border crossing station (phone: 819-656-2261).

Also, all machines must be clean and free of mud, vegetation and topsoil crossing either direction. 

Canadian citizens must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative–compliant documents when entering the U.S. by land:

a passport, which must be valid until the date of expected departure; or
a NEXUS card; or a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province or territory where a U.S.–approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented; or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status

Canadian citizens ages 15 and younger require proof of citizenship (an original or a copy of a birth certificate or an original Canadian citizenship card).

The government of Canada advises: “Your Canadian passport is the best document to prove your Canadian citizenship and your right to return to Canada.”

Visitors from Canada can enjoy New Hampshire’s tax-free shopping and bring back varying amounts of goods, duty-free, depending on the length of stay and type of goods.  Complete information can be found here.

For more detailed information our friends at Discover New England have collected more resources to make sure your trip is a smooth one!